Last night was my school's year-end enkai (party). I was both looking forward to it and feeling rather intimidated by the thought that I wouldn't be able to communicate with anyone. But I was determined to enjoy my first real taste of what enkais are all about. The one that was held for me when I first came here doesn't count because only the English department came out and some of them brought their children with them so it was a rather subdued affair. But this party was for the entire office and they rented out a restaurant on the 12th floor of a hotel so I had high hopes that this would be more like the all-you-can-drink drunken goodness I was told about.
When I got to the hotel I didn't see anyone from my school so I decided to show my enkai flier to the person at the front desk to verify that the number 12 (1 of 2 things I was able to read on it) meant the 12th floor because no one actually told me where it was. My hunch was verified so up the elevator I went! When I got out I was welcomed by one of the teacher's dressed up as Naruto/Santa and the English teacher I have dubbed Mr. Fancypants (he always seems to be wearing Burberry!) was wearing a Mrs Claus outfit with sequined bunny ears. I could tell this was going to be epic!
I was given a number that corresponded to a random seat and found myself between the principal and the teacher I sit next to in the staffroom with the samurai voice. Crap, neither of these men speak English and the intimidation levels are off the charts. But as soon as I put my purse down the principal is doing his best to talk to me and sends someone off to get me a beer. I tell him that I will be staying in Japan for the holidays and we share a toast and drink up.
It was at this point that I realised that I was woefully under-dressed. I had asked my supervisor earlier that day what I should wear and she cheerfully said that there was no dress code and I could wear whatever I wanted to. So I asked her if jeans were ok and she very happily and excitedly said that that would be just fine. Everyone there was wearing suits. Son of a...
One of the teacher's near me, who I had never talked to before this point mind you, turned out to speak rather good English so I spoke a lot with him. He really seemed to like my answer of "most" when he asked what alcohol I liked. It was a good bonding moment :)
Samurai-sensei also put in a valiant effort to talk to me. Turns out he is also a farmer and grows his own rice! He promised that he would bring me some so that's pretty cool. I hope he remembers because I would love to try home-grown rice! How cool is that?
Oh I should also note that Samurai-sensei make sure that I had beer, sake and red wine in front of me before the first course was served. Between the two of us we polished off 2 bottles of sake.
The food was really good. We had a 5 course meal were each course was artistically arranged on the plate in small portions. It was a thing of beauty to have such good food in Maebashi.
We played bingo until everyone had a chance to win because there was a prize for everyone. Some people got crates of cup o noodle or curry and others got a drying rack for their clothes. I won a box of heat packs and memo pads which I am super excited about :) As I was leaving the principal gave me his prize too which was comprised of an Ultraman boot filled with candy! WooHoo!
I was asked to go the 2nd party by the English teacher who had the BBQ so I said that I would love to but when it was time to go I unknowingly attached myself to a different group who ended up going to a whiskey bar (seriously, all they served was whiskey). I thought that everyone would be going to the same place but I guess not. I hope he's not mad that I bailed on him >.< But at the whiskey bar, which could only seat 7 btw, I did get a very drunk and lonely middle-aged man singing a love ballad to me in English. It was magical :P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Anna, that sounds awesome!!! I missed mine last night because I got sick. :( Damn germs! But it sounds like yours was fun--hooray!
Haha, I'm glad you had a good Enkai!
"magical" sums it up pretty well!
Post a Comment