Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Journey Home

I have some free time at Narita airport while I wait for my plane so I figured I would update my blog.



As I'm sure all of you have heard I decided to fly home because of the current situation here. As surprising as it may seem, it wasn't an easy decision to make. I have been keeping a close eye on the news for any information concerning the Fukushima power plant and have been reading a lot of conflicting reports. I have also read quite a few articles by nuclear experts on why there really is no cause for concern. As much as I told myself that I should listen to the experts and that there really is nothing to fear I kept hearing a little voice saying, "yeah, but what if?" The plant was built with the "worst case scenario" in mind and, ultimately, it was worse than they could imagine. So I find myself questioning the current worst case scenario they are attempting to comfort me with. In the end, I decided that I should err on the side of caution and come home.

I asked my supervisor if it would be possible to head home for a few weeks while we wait for all of this to blow over. I was thrilled and touched by how quickly my school moved to make sure that I could be on a plane as soon as possible. If it weren't for my supervisor I would not have been able to secure a seat on a flight until Sunday and I have no idea how I would have gotten to the airport. She arranged for a cab to pick me up at my apartment at 7:20am to take me to the bus stop downtown where I could board a bus that would take me directly to the airport.

Leaving Japan has proven to be more difficult than I would have though. While I secure my own safety I leave behind many friends and coworkers who will remain in my thoughts in the days ahead. I feel a sense of guilt as I leave all of these wonderful people to fend for themselves. I know there is nothing I could do if the unthinkable were to happen, I just wish that there was somewhere they could go too. Please keep them in your prayers.

3 comments:

Jaimie Newsome said...

Anna, I'll miss you while you're gone! I'm glad you're able to go home, though. You'll have a good time!
Things are still pretty normal here, just no gas and the lights go out once in a while. :)
Safe travels!

bogle said...

This will be a long travel day, that will end with happy tears, hugs and the like from your family in Ottawa. I even checked you flight, think I got the correct one, looks like you will have a bit of a wait in Vancouver, but that means you are back on home ground. Thanks for the Face Book posts. I chatted with Jon last evening on FB.
Take care! Love from Calgary AB.
AJ

Sarah said...

Anna, glad to hear you are safe and have decided to come home. Am sure it is bittersweet to leave all of the friends you have made, who don't have the luxury of leaving the country.

I've been watching the coverage every day on the news and reading the newspapers. I can only imagine what it must be like for the hundreds of thousands of displaced people. Safe travels home!

Hugs,

Sarah