Monday, August 23, 2010

Fuji-Kyu

After having a good night's sleep on Saturday it was time to head out to Fuji-Kyu! Our dear keepers at the hostel woke us all up with really loud elevator music at 6:45am and we were loaded into our cars for 7:30am. Bring on the amusement park.


The first ride I went on was called Fujiyama. It is aptly named. I'm still amazed I voluntarily got on that rollercoaster. It held the record for the world's tallest rollercoaster until something like 2006. And it uses a lap-bar and a seatbelt to keep you in. That's it. I gotta say, I could have kissed that seatbelt. The ride operator made me take off my glasses before we were allowed to take off. I never thought I would be so happy to be blind. I nearly hyperventilated as we were going up on that chain. It seemed to last forever. Every time I thought we must be near the top we still had a while to go. I just stared straight ahead at the seat in front of me. I didn't want to take in the view. I'm sure it was amazing but I would have lost control of my bowels. Seriously. Then came the inevitable drop. It was nearly vertical. I had no idea I could scream like that. The amount of speed we built up from that drop was enough to send my glasses flying if I had been wearing them. I'm really glad I had to take them off. By the time we finished our 2.5 minute ride of terror I was shaking like a leaf and was told that I went deathly pale pretty early on as we were on our way up. I believe it. And just as with Fuji-san, never again.




There was another rollercoaster at the park that people went on that I was quite happy to watch from the ground. I actually had a vertical drop in it. Pure. Vertical. And here's the kicker, you chair spins so you are facing the ground as you hurtle towards it. Count me out.

We had a great day and were absolutely dead by the end of it.

As we were meeting up to head back home to Gunma one of the veteran JETs got a phone call from his supervisor to let him know that a JET in his town had been killed in a hit and run the night before. A few of the JETs with us were friends with him. It hit us all pretty hard but I can only imagine what they must have felt.

It was a rather subdued ride home and we found ourselves stuck in a 4 hour traffic jam outside of Tokyo. I managed to catch my last train home from Takasaki but most people ended up missing theirs. Luckily one of the JETs with a car volunteered to drive people home but he wouldn't have made it home until at least 4am. His Monday must have sucked.

3 comments:

Steph said...

There is no way you could of gotten me to go onto that death trap. Was the park overly cheesy like the Okayama "little Denmark" theme park?

Anna said...

Hahaha, no it was just a regular themepark. But I forgot to mention in my post that I was saved by a superhero when I was trying to desipher the crepe stand's ticket machine. I knew I wanted the strawberry cheesecake one that was on the board but when I went to the ticket machine I couldn't see it written anywhere. So this blue Power Ranger type guy comes up and helps me figure it out. He's my hero! I should have taken his picture!

Cherry said...

Well your mamma hopes you are cured of roller coasters for life. With age comes wisdom :)