Saturday, April 23, 2011

Returning to Japan



When I first arrived back at school after my trip back home I was reminded just how appreciated I am here. As I walked into the staff room and greeted people with the usual ohaiyo gozaimasu (good morning) I was met with gaping mouths and gasps of “Whaaa?!”. Apparently no one actually thought I would come back even though I assured them repeatedly that I would be back before the new school year started. People who never spoke to me before came up to me to welcome me back and everyone was very grateful that I had chosen to finish my contract.

On Saturday I joined up with some of the local JETs to enjoy a picnic under the cherry blossoms in Takasaki. I have to admit that I was hesitant to go because the government has asked that people refrain from having hanami parties during this difficult time. They feel that it is a time for self-restraint, not getting drunk under the blossoms.

Now this is a very tricky situation to be in because of the cultural importance that is placed on hanami in the first place. You see, in Japan the cherry blossom is a sign of the fleetingness of life and it reminds people to enjoy the moment and treasure the time that you have. One would think that this fits in perfectly with the current situation here but hanami tends to degenerate into drunken stupors. In the end I decided to go. I’m happy I went, even though it rained a little, as I had a nice relaxing afternoon under the cherry trees.

It feels odd to be back in Japan after my visit back home but at the same time it just feels right. I couldn’t possibly abandon my students without saying goodbye. Every time I pass one of them in the hall or outside of school their eager smiles remind me why I am here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!

I'm glad you made it back safely and that everyone is so happy to see you. You've made quite a nice life for yourself in Japan, and the smiles reflect that.

Steph said...

I suggest that we plant flowering trees and celebrate each spring in Ottawa in a drunken stupor. Alas, why wait till spring, I propose for your arrival back to Ottawa you share Hanami with everyone by having a vase of flower on table, while everyone sits on the floor looking up at the flowers while drinking sake.

Anna said...

Steph, I think that is a fantastic idea! I have been toying with the idea of planting a flowering almond tree in my backyard recently but in the meantime I am totally down with getting drunk under a vase of flowers :P

Travelingrant said...

Portable Hanami, that is a fantastic idea. Also, I love that photo.

Cherry said...

Obviously the teachers and students at your school have not heard the many stories of Just How Stubborn Anna Can Be. I think that they can all be amended to reflect Anna, Superhero!

Very proud of my girl :)