Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Long Weekend

This past weekend was a long one here and to top it off we have this Thursday off as well. Monday was Respect for the Aged Day and Thursday is the Fall Equinox. I love being in a Shinto country :)

I started my weekend off by having my new bed delivered and assembled by the kind people from Nitori. The guy even asked how I wanted it positioned and one of the options I was asked about was whether I wanted it smack in the middle of the room. Now I know that I am a weird foreigner but no, no I do not want it in the middle of the room. And yes I want the headboard against the wall, not the foot board.

On Sunday I headed into Tokyo in search of some elusive art supplies, namely canvas and paint. I can't find them anywhere nearby! I'm sure they exist here but I'll be damned if I knew where! So I got on a train and headed for Shibuya district. I ended up having a rather lovely conversation with a middle aged man. When he found out I was from Canada he asked if Owen Sound had snow yet. Of all the places in Canada, the one he knows is Owen Sound! When I told him I was from Ottawa he asked if it was in BC - I cried a little inside. At least he had never heard of Toronto either, or for that matter, Ontario. He then asked if I eat maple syrup everyday. I though of Elizabeth :)

Once I got to Shibuya I stumbled across a festival. I have no idea what the festival was but I've dubbed it the "Pants are Optional Festival". I didn't get any great shots because I didn't want to look like a pervert but man it was tempting! A lot of the men were wearing really bright thongs. A good time was had by all.


I managed to find a new purse and a hair pin from a Malasian shop so that made me really happy and I found my art supplies and was given the biggest bag you have ever seen. I felt a little silly on the train ride home but at least I found what I was looking for. The selection wasn't great but they had what I wanted so all in all it was a successful trip into the big city.

That evening I headed over to Isesaki to have dinner with some fellow JETs. We had stuffed mushroom caps, homemade pumpkin soup, beef stroganoff and homemade funnel cake. It was delicious! Unfortunately I got a crazy headache and had to leave before the funnel cake. I was so disappointed because I had been looking forward to it all week. Thankfully I was given a rain cheque that I plan on cashing in the near future :)

To cap off my weekend I marathoned some Doctor Who. I think I can safely say that I am obsessed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so nice that you're close to Tokyo! How long does it take for you to get there?

Did you check out Tokyu Hands or your art supplies? If I'm remembering correctly, they had quite a selection. But then again, I'm not really an artist...

Cherry said...

Love the Pants Are Optional parade. Only you could "stumble upon" something like that :)