Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just Call Me Hummingbird

Yesterday was a rather eventful day for me.

My school had a road safety demonstration in the afternoon to teach the students how important it is to be careful when they are riding their bikes. Naturally, they figured that the best way to do this was to demonstrate the results of being hit by a car. Now in order to do that you need live stuntmen. Yup, you read that right. We had stuntmen come to our school and get repeatedly run over in our field by all manner of vehicles. They were hit by other bikes, people, cars, scooters, and even a transport truck. Needless to say it was a rather entertaining way to spend an hour! Unfortunately, as awesome as it was, I’m not too sure about how effective it was at deterring dangerous biking. The stuntmen made it look like rather a lot of fun to go flying through the air. I mean, they were able to just stand up and dust themselves off so why can’t I?

IMG_0078[1]

After that I had to stay late and help some first graders prepare for the speech competition. They were feeling really nervous about it so I told them that they needed to treat themselves when they had finished and that they should buy themselves some cake to reward themselves. Judging by their reactions I think they thought I was going to buy them cake. I tried to make it clearer that they should buy the cake but I don’t think they got it. So now it looks like I might have to buy everyone cake…

Once I wrapped up at school I headed over to the bank to pay my rent because I am still without a bank account (but that’s a whole other story!) So I went to the bank to try and send money to my landlord through the ATM. Everything is in kanji, of course, but I had my slip from last time so I was hoping that I could just match the squiggles and everything would turn out alright in the end. After 15 minutes of squiggle matching I throw my hard earned money into the machine and hope for the best. Out pops my receipt and wouldn’t you know it, I got part of it wrong >.< Thankfully it wasn’t anything vital, just my name. So when my landlord gets his receipt saying that someone put money in his account, it will be signed “Hummingbird” Whoops! Well, I guess there are worse things I could have called myself!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So, Hummingbird, when can I expect my cake? I'm getting hungry from all this getting hit by cars stuff!

Anonymous said...

That strikes me as an incredibly expensive and entirely ineffective way to try and teach bicycle safety. I'm guessing there are some cultural differences though that might make them not want to immediately get on a bike and then try and jump onto a moving vehicle...I'm pretty sure that's the effect it would have had on me.

Cherry said...

Crazier every day ...

DaisyGrrl said...

umm...is the stuntman blonde/wearing a wig? That's what I take away from that picture! Also where's my cake, Hummingbird? I'm hungry!

Anna said...

He had a blond afro - quite remarkable really for a Japanese man.

Unknown said...

When you said you spent an hour watching stuntmen and I didn't realize you meant 'LIVE" stunt men. So AWESOME, but not very effective method for Canadians. We would try it.