Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oh Japan...

Tonight I was supposed to head over to Takasaki to meet some other ALTs for dinner. Japan had other plans for me. Before I could head over to the train station I had to go to the video store to rent a movie for my English movie club which starts tomorrow. However, when I went down to my bike I found that someone had stolen the little do-hicky on my back tire that keeps all the air in so not only was it flat, but I couldn't pump it back up either. So now I have to make the trip to the rental store by foot and make a side trip over to the superstore to try and find the right part. I didn't have time to do all this and make it over to Takaskai on time so I had to cancel my dinner plans :( Damn you random thief! Who steals a tire cap anyway? At least he left me a disposable chopstick in my basket...

I decided to pick up Avatar at the rental place because I have no idea what they might be interested in and Avatar has a wide fan base so hopefully they will enjoy it. I'll be sure to take a poll and see what kind of movies they are interested so I will have more to go on for next week. Otherwise they will have to watch whatever I feel like. Mwahahaa!

Seeing as I now had a wide open evening I decided to check out the pet & garden store nearby before I swung by the grocery store for dinner. I was enjoying poking around and looking at all the pretty plants and puppies when I headed over to the bird section. Standing there, right in the corner and out in the open, are 2 turkeys! TURKEYS! Two of em! What the?! I have no idea what they were doing there or if they were for sale but it was one of the most random things I have seen so far in Japan - and I wouldn't have seen them if someone didn't steal the cap on my bike. Bizarre. When I turned to leave I saw a giant tortoise in a cardboard box with his write-up taped to his shell. I had to laugh.


I ended up buying 2 things that looked like they might do the trick and fix my bike and brought them home. After putting my groceries (and a bottle of Yellowtail!) away I went back downstairs to make sure I could bike to work tomorrow. Well, as luck would have it, neither of the parts fit. So it looks like I'll be walking to work tomorrow in 44 degree weather. Lovely.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Turkeys! Wow, most Japanese people don't even know what they are let alone have one in their city. I wonder if they are pets or will be eaten?

We had lots of problems with our bikes too, so you may want to consider storing your bike inside your apartment or on your balcony. Perhaps your supervisor can take you out to search for the correct part as I'm certain it isn't easy to describe with limited Japanese.

Walking to work isn't so bad, consider it taking in the scenery.

Unknown said...

I found that bicycle repair places were really cheap and quick. When I had a flat, I took it to get repaired.. they guy charged me something like 700yen and had the job finished in 10 minutes. Much easier than trying to do it on my own, and probably about the same price.

Also, those turkeys are awesome.

Cherry said...

Bad, bad, bad bicyle-thingy thief! But yay for the amazing pet store...

Jon said...

Whoever stole the parts was the real turkey. Those other Turkeys may look real but I'm not convinced. They do seem to be plotting though.

Shame about the struggles, I'm sure that was a kink in plans. Hopefully you can pop over for another dinner soon.